Saturday 5 April 2008

Mobile Computing

Mobile Computing is becomming increasingly popular all over the world but I'm not quite sure whether or not this is a good thing for the hospitality industry.
Hotels are all about providing an excellent service to your guests, and that includes a personalised service where you feel that you really are welcome.

Although I agree that Mobile Computing may be more efficient than alternative means, I somehow think that introducing Mobile Computing into hotels could cause trouble. I know from personal experience where I was out for a meal and the waiter was using one of these mobile devices. I'm not quite sure that he even looked at us once while taking our order, he was more concentrated on inputting the order correctly than he was in his customers.

This is what I mean by causing trouble for the hospitality industry. Hospitality is about the customer, not an electeonic device. What is wrong with scribbling down the order on a piece of paper in front of the customer, this way you're not worried about mistakes and you can focus your attention on the what it should be on. Then go to the computer and input the order and be as particular as you like with it - just not in front of the customer - it just looks bad to have your attention focused on an electronic device rather than the person you are serving.

Not to put a huge downer on the whole idea, I do think that Mobile Computing is an excellent advancement in technology, however there is a place for it to be used and I just don't think that a hotel is one of those places.

No comments: